The Art of Cherishing Your Designer Handbags: How to Store, Protect & Enjoy Them
In the heart of every woman’s closet lies a collection of confidants: her handbags. These cherished companions, particularly those crafted by leading designers in New Zealand, are embodiments of style, personality and memories. So, it’s just right to store and protect them. Today, we’ll unveil a quick guide to help ensure your beloved designer handbags remain as pristine & chic as the day you bought them.
Storing with Love
The way you store your handbag can greatly influence its lifespan. So, one of the first things you have to remember is that handbags need breathing space. Crowding them can cause wear and tear, deform their shape and lead to unsightly creases. Ensure they are placed in a manner where they retain their shape and structure. Some designer bags come with their own shape-preserving pillows—a luxury your handbag deserves. Otherwise, soft cloths or bubble wrap can act as alternatives.
Here are more tips for storing your designer handbags in NZ with love:
- Mind the Shape: Maintaining the original form of handbags, especially gems like Deadly Ponies handbags or the chic Karen Walker Bindle bag, is paramount. Stuff them with shape-preserving pillows, bubble wrap, tissue paper or soft cloth when they’re resting in your wardrobe to avoid creases or misshapen looks.
- Elevate Their Position: If possible, allocate a specific shelf or section in your closet for handbags. This ensures they aren’t squished amongst other items.
- Keep Them Covered: Dust, humidity and sunlight can be adversaries. Store your handbags in their original dust bags or soft cotton pouches. This simple act can prevent dust accumulation, colour fading and undesired imprints from adjacent items.
- Hang the Totes: For instance, the Deadly Ponies tote bag, given its structure, begs to be hung. By doing so, you help maintain its shape and prevent any corner wear.
Protection Is Key
Your handbag faces countless threats daily. The risks are omnipresent—from the inadvertent coffee spill and the accidental brush against a rough wall to the exposure to rain or harsh sunlight. Using protective sprays, especially for leather and suede bags, can offer a shield against spills and stains. It’s also worth noting that bags, like wine, need the right climate. They prefer cool, dry places, away from direct sunlight, which can cause them to fade or dry out. Read on for more bag protection tips.
- Shield from Weather Woes: Handbags, much like people, have preferences. For instance, the soft texture of your suede Saben bag can be ruined in heavy rain. On days with unpredictable weather, opt for leather or patent bags.
- Maintain the Shine: Have your designer bags lost their lustre? Consider using specialist bag conditioners. These products can breathe life back into them, ensuring they remain supple and vibrant.
- Avoid Overloading: While you might feel tempted to carry your world in your most stylish designer handbags, resist. Overburdening can distort your bags’ shape and weaken their seams and handles.
- Beware of Colour Transfer: Dark jeans and light-coloured bags aren’t always the best of friends. Be cautious of denim stains or potential colour transfer from clothes.
The Maintenance Ritual
Regular upkeep can enhance the lifespan of your bags. Set aside some time, maybe once a month, for a handbag pampering routine. Cleanse leather bags with specialist leather wipes. Do you own suede beauties? A suede brush can help retain their velvety texture. Addressing minor issues promptly, like loose threads or small stains, can prevent them from turning into bigger problems. Remember, the more you tend to your bag, the longer it will remain a symbol of your impeccable taste.
Here are more tips to help you create your handbag maintenance ritual:
- Stick to Cleaning Routines: Wipe leather bags with a soft, damp cloth once a week. For suede, a gentle brush can help maintain its soft texture.
- Don’t Forget About Hardware Care: The metallic parts of a bag, like clasps and zippers, should be polished using appropriate cleaners. This ensures they remain rust-free and maintain their shine.
- Seek Professionals: Sometimes, a bag might need expert care. Don’t hesitate to take your precious designer handbags to professional bag spas or repair shops.
Indulging in the Sale Magic
Who doesn’t love a good sale? But it’s essential to discern that a sale doesn’t mean compromising quality. It’s an opportunity to acquire pieces that might have been just out of reach earlier. However, a keen eye is necessary. Ensure the piece’s authenticity, check for any defects and always be informed about the bag’s original price to ascertain if you’re truly getting a deal. Remember, a well-informed shopper gets the best out of sales. Below are more tips for collecting more designer handbags in NZ:
- Hunt for Treasures: A Yu Mei bag sale is not just an event; it’s also an opportunity. Scout for those timeless pieces that offer both style and utility.
- Do an Authenticity Check: With the proliferation of knock-offs, always ensure the authenticity of sale items. Research on unique markers or logos. For instance, a genuine Saben Fifi bag will have specific distinguishing features.
Rotate & Revel
Variety, after all, is the spice of life. So, rotate your bags not just to match your outfit but also to let each one breathe and rest. Remember that using the same bag daily can accelerate wear and tear. Besides, rotation allows you to appreciate each piece’s unique beauty and functionality. It also adds a refreshing touch to your outfits, letting you rediscover forgotten gems in your collection.
- Stick to Regular Rotation: Changing bags every week or so can keep them fresh. It also provides an opportunity to clean out accumulated receipts or forgotten lipsticks.
- Switch Depending on Mood & Mode: Just as the Saben handbag is perfect for a sophisticated evening, the more casual Deadly Ponies tote bag might be your pick for a day out shopping.
Showcase and Share
Your handbags aren’t just for personal use; they’re conversation starters. Consider starting a digital journal or a blog showcasing your collection. Share the stories behind each purchase, the occasions they’ve graced and the memories they hold. Engaging with fellow enthusiasts can also provide insights into designer handbag care routines, sale alerts or even potential trades. Let your handbags not just adorn your arm but also ignite fascinating dialogues in the world of fashion aficionados.
Here are more tips to showcase and share your favourite designer handbags in NZ:
- Organise or Attend Handbag Parties: It’s a fun way to showcase your collection, swap care tips and even trade bags for a short period.
- Chronicle Your Collection: Documenting your collection, perhaps on a personal blog or Instagram account, can be a delightful way to share your passion with a community that values designer handbags as much as you do.
The charm of a handbag lies not just in its design but also in its history with you: the places it’s been, the occasions it’s graced and the secrets it’s held. With thoughtful care, each bag, whether it’s the trendsetting Saben bag or the Classic Deadly Ponies tote bag, can remain a symbol of style and stories. Embrace these tips, and let every outing with your designer companion be as glamorous as a strut down the boulevards of fashion.